Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Simple or Stupid


Today I entered into the world of Sewing. It was not the start that I had hoped for but progress has been made. I went to Stacey's house with sewing machine and baby in hand with the intention of making a simple dress for Mackenzie. It all started out well, I picked a fabric and found matching thread and Stacey had all of her supplies set out on her new table (which looks very nice). I then went to thread the bobbin, a phrase that I will probably dislike even when I am good at it. I finally got it thread and went to put it into the machine to prepare to sew. When I put the fabric in and pressed the foot pedal it was very evident by the sound that the machine made that I had done something very wrong. When I pulled the fabric out there were like 4 or 5 threads coming from under the machine where the stupid bobbin lived. I took the thing apart and tried again. This went on for probably an hour, me fighting with my "simple" sewing machine. I would probably have thrown it out the window but I figured that since I was taking up sewing to save money it wouldn't make any sense to pay for a window. I finally gave up on my machine and used Stacey's to start to sew. While I will not win any contests, I did manage to assemble 3/4 of the dress before Mackenzie woke up and it was time to go. I think that someone should have a word with the Singer manufacturers and let them know that they have false advertising on their "simple" machines. (either that or pregnancy and motherhood have taken a bigger toll on my IQ than I realized!).

1 comment:

  1. ha! We got your machine working eventually and you did fine. Jared wouldn't have liked coming home to a broken window but it probably would have been less expensive than the breast pump I threatened to run over right after Matney was born. We will try sewing again soon and then move on to PATTERNS!!!

    ReplyDelete