The Story of My England Trip told by Mackenzie Meyer (for grown-up version keep reading)Ok so it has taken me forever to get this online but here it is -- Mackenzie Goes Abroad...So our day started like any other it was September 8th, 2008 and we went about our day as usual until Daddy came home early from work, strange. Then we all got into the car and I watched as all of my worldly possessions were unloaded and handed to some stranger. Mommy had me dressed in my PJs even though it was nowhere near bed time. We said goodbye to Daddy and proceeded to go through a security line. Mommy was less than graceful at this but thanks to Grandma who appeared to save us and some very kind TSA officers she managed to get us through without being strip searched. I also, had to show people my passport which looks like a baby mug-shot. We then hung around for forever and then lulled by the loud speaker and foreign languages I fell asleep on Grandma's shoulder.
This was only a nap, however, even though it was way past my bed time. When we got onto the plane I was wide awake and loved the seats in coach, they're so big and roomy :)
After a smooth take off Mommy tried to convince me to go to bed but the only way I would fall asleep was to be held. Apparently, this was ok for about 30 min. then Mommy's arm and side would fall asleep so I got put into this baby jail seen below. I finally went to sleep in this contraption but was right under the TV so I had a blanket on my head the whole time.
We finally landed in Manchester, England and then had to get in the car for a 3 hr. car ride. I managed for about 2hrs. before I had a melt-down which ended in me passing out the rest of the way (which nobody in the car minded). We finally got there and I got to meet my great-granddad Rex Madin. I knew I was going to like him, he helped me jump and bounce (my 2 favorite activities) and gave me lots of kisses.Nobody really had any problems with the time change and we were all ready to go the next day. One of my first activities was to take a walk through the village with Great Granddad and meet all of the neighbors. It was a little chilly so I had on my fluffy blue coat with bear ears.
Great Granddad did a lot of babysitting throughout the trip while Mommy, Grandma, Jean, and Great-Aunt Joanne went galavanting around town doing things like water aerobics at the local swim club ( in a heated indoor pool) or going to see Mamma Mia at the town cinema (seen below). They got ice cream at the intermission (yes intermission during the movie, which was nice for going to the bathroom) and didn't bring me any home. Nevertheless, I never acted up and saved all of my dirty diapers for Mommy like a good girl.
After Great-Aunt Joanne left we went on a church bus trip to the sea side. It was a long ride but I behaved in true Mackenzie fashion and was pretty close to perfect. My first time in the ocean was in England, weird since Mommy is from Florida. The water was very cold so I only put my toes in (and not by choice, Mommy took my sock off and forced them in the water just so she could take a stupid picture, child abuse).
It was very windy so we didn't stay by the shore for long.
We ate at a fish and chips shop by the sea. Mommy had a baked potato with baked beans on top and a salad, she did however eat some of grandma's chips (french fries) so at least she participated a little :)
We had ice cream for dessert and yes I do mean all of us. I had my first ice cream cone. Unfortunately, there was not actually any ice cream in the cone but I'm sure I tasted a few drops of the tiramisu ice cream mommy had had in it. I loved it and am pretty sure I'm going to love ice cream whenever Mommy finally lets me have it.
We went on lots of walks while we were away, the weather was great and it only rained 2 days (I'm told this is pretty good for England). I enjoyed the stroller and discovered how fun it was to drop things out of it and make various family members pick them up. I actually hid a few toys in the village which will probably be discovered by archaeologists in the future.
I have officially been in a red English telephone booth (which are rapidly disappearing due to cell phones). And chewed on a few pieces of mail before they were mailed in a post box.
While we were there we got the opportunity to see a bench in nice quiet spot in town called the Spinney (not sure if the spelling is quite right). It was in honor of my great-great Granddad. The people in the picture are my Great-great Aunt Shirley (in the white top with flowers), my Great-great Aunt Mary (in the black and white), my Great-great Uncle Ken (top left), Mommy, Grandma, and Jean on the top and Great-granddad holding me. The picture is on the town website: -----------------------. Mommy said this is the only time I am allowed to have any pictures on the internet :)
While in England I was Christened at the village church. Uncle Shawn and pseudo-Aunt Kristin Diehl were my Godparents, only they couldn't make it due to the ocean making driving difficult and so my Great-uncle Andrew Madin and Cousin (probably removed or second or something, Mommy doesn't know how that works) Bev Madin were the stand-ins. I got water in my eyes and nose during the actual baptism and was not a big fan of this, boy your voice echos in a stone church. Jean spoke during the service which was wonderful and I was named a VIP for the day. There weren't any pictures during the ceremony but we got some after.
This is me pole-dancing after my Baptism, apparently I have to go to remedial classes now.
After the service we had a lovely party at the town hall hosted by Great-granddad and Jean. There was tons of food for the grown ups which all looked wonderful, of course all I got was a bottle. I had a beautiful handmade cake which was vanilla with strawberry cream filling, again I just had to look at it (Mommy said it was delicious). I managed to keep my dress clean and got lots of kisses from my family and friends of Great-granddad and Jean's.


On my trip to England I discovered the wonders of coasters and napkin rings. It was these two things that kept me entertained when all the other toys had failed. I especially liked to drop the napkin ring over the side of the high-chair for people to pick up :P
I met my Great-great Uncle John while I was there and we got along great. He got me an egg-cup for my Christening so now mommy can make me soft-boiled eggs and I have something to hold them while I dip my toast (it's an English thing). We went out to lunch with him, great-granddad, Jean, great-great Aunt Joanne, Mommy and Grandma one day to the Blacksmith's Arms a very nice local restaurant. I got a little tired at the end and had to be taken on a tour of the restaurant, luckily it was a slow day.

One of the coolest people that I met was my great-uncle Andrew who has three little girls of his own and was, therefore, totally on my level. He had just bought a new camera and was trying it out on me. I felt like a star with all of the paparazzi taking my pictures.
The flight home was pretty good but I did have a harder time with the time change when we got back (so did Mommy). Daddy was very glad to see us and said that my hair was definitely longer but still spikey.I have so many other stories to tell but I'm sure most people have stopped reading by now anyway so I'll have to save them for later. Here are some more shots from the good times I had in England...





That is the greatest post EVER! I am so glad that we were able to catch up with Miss Mackenzie. What wonderful pictures.
ReplyDeleteMatney can't wait to see her friend! We are glad you're back!